POISON INFORMATION

 

  • Know the telephone number of your local poison center.  (412-681-6669 or toll free 1-800-222-1222)
  • Place Mr. Yuk stickers on all poisonous products in the kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, basement and garage.
  • Teach children that Mr. Yuk means no.
  • Know which household items could be harmful to children—including plants.
  • Store all cleaning products, medications and chemicals in a safe, out-of-reach place after use.
  • Teach children about the dangers of all medicines—including pills, capsules, syrups, antiseptics, ointments and sprays.
  • Explain these tips to grandparents, other relatives and babysitters.
  • Teach children about the four forms of poison:
    • Solids: air fresheners, pills, vitamins, aspirin, lipstick
    • Liquids: cleaning products, fuel, alcohol
    • Sprays: furniture polish, oven cleaner, room deodorizer
    • Invisibles: carbon monoxide, space heater fumes
 

What if my child ingests a potential poison?

  • Remain calm and call the Pittsburgh Poison Control Center immediately at 412-681-6669 or 1-800-222-1222.
  • Bring the container or label to the phone.
  • Describe the situation: what was taken, how much, and how long ago?
  • Describe your child's current condition.
  • For mouth, skin, or eye exposure, rinse the affected area immediately.
  • Do not give your child anything to eat or drink until you have spoken to the poison control center.
  • Keep syrup of ipecac on hand.
  • Do not wait for symptoms to occur.  In all cases of suspected poisoning, call the poison control center as soon as the ingestion is discovered.
  • Keep the phone number of your poison control center near your telephone at all times!
 

For more information, visit the Pittsburgh Poison Center website.

 

Back to Safety Tips